for the use of students and general practitioners.
To which is added a series of test types for determining the exact state of vision.
New York, Philadelphia: Boericke and Tafel.
London: Henry Turner and co., 1876.
Description: 2 blank, xi, 1 front., xvii, [28 pp.], 343 pp., 2 pl.; 20cm.
Photography: two mounted composite photos of the fundus oculi.
Subject: ophthalmology, homeopathy manuals.
This is the fourth edition, enlarged and illustrated. Inserted after p. 6 is a supplement to chapter i, paged -28.
From a bookseller's description (Doctor Conrad Cooper):
This is not the earliest display of fundus photography in a book. Plate II has 5 photo depictions of the fundus oculi, retinal disease, and vascular patterns. Angell states in the preface that these were taken from von Helmholtz and von Jaeger. The two paste in photos-ensemble are in sepia tones, a single color w/variations in depth: one is the frontis, and the other is within the text.
Angell graduated from Homopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1852 and like most ambitious doctors of the time, traveled to Europe to complete his studies, first at the General Hospital connected with the University of Vienna, and then at the Leopold Stadt Homopathic Hospital, also in Vienna. These postgraduate studies lasted a year after which he returned to Massachusetts and eventually settled in Boston. However, he returned to Euope in 1861 for a three and a half year sabbatical in ophthalmology, mostly under the tutelage of Professors Arlt and Jæger in Vienna, but also studying for about three months with Professor Von Græfe in Berlin.
This fourth is a revised and illustrated edition of Angell's most important work, Diseases of the Eye, which was first published in 1870 and became the standard on the subject for homeopaths, appearing in multiple editions and printings. Of particular interest are the photographic plates attributed to Jaeger and especially von Helmholtz who invented the ophthalmoscope in 1851. Attempts at photographing the fundus were made as early as 1863 by Henry D. Noyes in New York and Liebrecht in Berlin, but a commercially viable photographic ophthalmoscope first came available with Nordeson's invention in 1925 (Aachal Kotecha »» ).
Angell was also an art collector and a painter of some accomplishment.